Paleo Mini Cherry Crisps
Last week hosted National Cherry Cobbler Day. I totally skipped it because we’ve had to make some temporary dietary changes in our family while my youngest daughter is on an elimination diet for Psoriasis. But then I remembered that I had created a Paleo Cherry Crisp on my old blog! Since I’m taking that one down soon, I thought I’d transfer the info here. Be gracious with the less-than-beautiful pictures. It was mostly a crafting blog and I wasn’t as worried about the food looking good.
This takes less than half an hour!
Cherries are coming into season! Sounds yummy, right? However, while I love cherry cobbler, I am a little more of a cherry crisp kind of girl. Aren’t these mini cast iron skillets adorable?! You could also use small ramekins if you don’t have or want mini cast iron skillets.
It starts with a pound of cherries, pitted and halved.
*Quick hint- if you’re craving this but cherries aren’t in season, use frozen cherries! Just make sure you rinse them after thawing and pat them dry.
To the cherries, you will add a pinch of salt, a 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix well and put into the skillets or ramekins.
Next mix the topping ingredients: almond flour, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and honey. Once that is all combined you can add it to the top of each skillet or ramekin.
I know what you’re thinking here, it doesn’t look crazy appetizing. But wait until it bakes up all golden and dark red. Trust me on this one.
Into the oven it all goes for 15-18 minutes at 375. You’re looking for browning on that topping and bubbles in those cherries.
Pretty simple and pretty delicious!
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 1 pound cherries pitted and cut in half
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup butter or ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a medium bowl combine cherries, a pinch of salt, almond extract, and lemon juice. Divide equally among 4 individual skillets or ramekins.
- Using the same bowl, combine remaining ingredients until well mixed. Divide the topping among the ramekins, topping the cherries with small chunks of topping.
- Bake in a 375º oven for 15-18 minutes. You want a golden topping. Don't let it burn.
Leave a Comment