This is one of those easy dishes that is chock-full of veggies and the whole family eats. In fact, my youngest (8) gets 2-3 servings every time I make it and it is the only dish in which she eats green beans. She doesn’t even blink twice, just scarfs them down. The veggie hating husband picks out his green beans, but there are still potatoes, tomatoes and lots of bell peppers for nutrition in there.
I am going to apologize now for the less-than-great-quality photos. I somehow accidentally deleted my pics for these. I swear that delete button is right next to the rename button and it makes things disappear so easily. 🙁 I ended up having to pull these from my Instagram feed, which I don’t know how to do other than to take a screen shot. Screen shots aren’t the highest quality images out there.
This does take an hour to make, but a lot of that is simmer time. There’s plenty of time to clear off the table and throw a side or two together while this is going. Maybe switch the laundry and water the garden too.
First thing, cut your chicken breasts up and start them sauteing in olive oil in a large skillet with a lid or a wide shallow pan. While that’s going, start chopping those vegetables. Look at all those colors!
Once the chicken is lightly browned, you add some garlic and then add the red potatoes (I love not peeling potatoes!) and the bell peppers. Work on something else for about 5 minutes while these are softening a bit. Then add in canned Mexican style tomatoes and the cut up green beans. I used haricot verts here. They’re so tender. Then reduce heat to medium and cover. Let it go for about half an hour. When the chicken is all the way done and the potatoes are tender you are ready to serve.
You can dish this up in a bowl with the liquid- almost like a stew, or scoop it with a slotted spoon like I did here to plate with sides.
It just occurred to me that this could be a one pot meal. It has carbs, veggies and meat. Nothing else needed!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 large red potatoes, cube
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 28 oz can Mexican style stewed tomatoes (or two 14 oz cans)
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 12 oz haricot vert or green beans, cut into 1"-2" pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, saute the cubed chicken in olive oil until lightly browned. Add garlic and saute one more minute.
- Meanwhile, chop the other vegetables. Add in potatoes and bell peppers when the chicken and garlic are ready. Stir and cook about 5 minutes more.
- Add in canned tomatoes, herbs, butter and green beans. Stir to combine and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender it is ready to enjoy.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.